Aunty Virus

I recently tried downloading a program for burning CDs (sorry forgotten the name but found it on your site) Because the downloading suddenly changed to Spanish I aborted. However I think MSN became involved in the download and I now have SweetIM to contend with. I have used Spybot and have been able to remove all but 9 entries because it says it's “in memory". Any ways you might suggest to get rid of SweetIM?
Aunty Says:
Not entirely sure how this has happened Colin but you should be able to remove it through ‘Control Panel’ and ‘Add Remove Programs’. Follow this with a Ccleaner cleanup and you should be OK. SweetIM is not generally considered as spyware so maybe Spybot isn’t quite sure what to do with the remaining entries.

Eddie via email asks:
 Hi Aunty, I have been having problems with Windows Live Essentials which I managed to remove after looking for remedies on line. I have also downloaded Internet Explorer9 for Windows7 but now I seem to have lost video player as I can't play the video clips on MSN home page or YouTube, do you have an answer for this problem?
Aunty Says:
Hello Eddie. You will have to make sure both IE (Internet Explorer) and Flash Player are the 32 bit versions. For some reason Adobe have delayed the release of the 64 bit version even though 64 bit IE was shipped with Vista and Windows7. It is possible that simply downloading the latest Flash Player from adobe.com will resolve the problem but you may need to downgrade to the 32 bit IE9 as well.
Roger via email asks:
Hi Aunty, I enjoy your column and find the info very useful. Now I have a problem I hope you can help me with, I have a Dell laptop running on XP and have used AVG free for years with no problems. I have AVG 2011 and when I came back after having been away for ten days I started computer and tried to update AVG and have now been trying for three days. The updates download OK but they will not install. I get a window saying “update  failed, invalid binary update file”. I have looked at the AVG help centre but it was no help at all.
Aunty Says:
The first thing to check Roger is that you don’t have any nasty spyware or virus on your laptop. Run Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware and try the AVG updates again. As you are on a dialup connection it’s also quite possible that some the updates files have been corrupted during the download and may have left some remnants which are stopping the newer updates from installing properly. Running Ccleaner may remove any old update files that are causing problems. You can also download and update these AVG files manually, but we’ll try that if we need to.

0 comments:

Post a Comment