Cover boy: Hillis wins Madden gig



Browns running back Peyton Hillis will grace the cover of “Madden NFL 12,” the latest edition of the popular video game series. He beat Eagles quarterback Michael Vick in the final, collecting 66 percent of the more than 1 million votes cast online.
The winner was announced Wednesday afternoon.
“I didn’t think I had a shot,” Hillis said on ESPN2. “Vick, I always looked up to him. Winning this means a lot to me and my family.”
Hillis was an unknown before a breakout season in 2010, his first with the Browns after being acquired in a trade for quarterback Brady Quinn. He totaled 1,667 yards and 13 touchdowns and became a fan favorite.
Northeast Ohio fans supported him throughout the 32-man bracket-style tournament. He opened as a No. 10 seed and pulled five upsets to win the cover.
Hillis beat Ravens running back Ray Rice in the first round, then Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, Chiefs running back Jamaal Charles and Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers. In succession, Hillis received 62 percent of the vote, 51, 60 and 61.
“I gotta give all my fans (credit), if it weren’t for them, I wouldn’t have this right now,” he said. “It just shows how big Cleveland fans are to their players. I want to tell them thank you and I’m going to try my best for them.”
Earlier in the day, Hillis was proud just to be in the final.
“I’m a small-town country boy from Arkansas, working his way up from every level, just hoping to get a shot,” he said. “All this displayed is the American dream. It’s a true blessing and a real honor.”
Vick, who’s made a public-relations recovery following the dog fighting scandal, was gracious in defeat.
“It’s great for Peyton,” he said. “It shows he has a broad fan base. People admire what he do, he takes pride in what he do and he’s very deserving of the cover.”
Past stars on the “Madden” cover have been felled by injuries, inspiring the “Madden Curse.” Hillis isn’t buying.
“For people to believe in this so-called curse, I can’t wait to prove people wrong,” he told espn.com.

0 comments:

Post a Comment