‘So You Think You Can Dance’: The Dancers Go in Groups


Let me get something out of the way – I never know any of the names of the “So You Think You Can Dance” dancers. It’s about the dances, the Matrix moves, and the people whose bodies somehow, magically, flew through the air, split on the ground and made me all teary for reasons I can’t explain.
Remember the guy who played the hummingbird a couple seasons ago?
Yeah, like that. No clue what his name is, but I still watch that clip from time to time. (Ok, I went to look it up. It’s Hok.) Also, the songs. This is where I first heard “Jar of Hearts” before it got Gleed to death and “Squander,” by Skunk Anansie, which is just a brave, brave name.
This year, dancers are going in groups as they get axed down to the Top 20. It’s going to take two hours to string this out. The judges: the Pussycat Doll chick (Robin Antin), the Krump King ( Lil’ C), cute curly boy (Tyce Diorio), Mary Muhahaha Murphy and Britico Suave (Nigel Lythgoe). Let us pause to miss Mia Michaels.
OK, so the dancers are in some sort of holding cell. Ricky from Salt Lake is up first and tells a little tale about busting a move at his mom’s wedding. Nigel does the fake out pause.. we’ve got to give bad news …. to other people. Ugggh. I hate this from American Idol, who did this with every contestant. Just fork it up.
Miranda is up next. They also do a little fake out. Melanie Moore is also in. Abigal says she gets cold when she’s nervous. She’s not moving forward Neither is Caitlin. Do you have any idea who these people are? They had legs that went up to there. Oh yeah, that one.
The Mallory sisters are split up. The skinnier one is headed on to the Top 20. Note, I’m a big girl and I love to dance. But I can’t jump as high or move as fast as the fatless 20 year olds in my Madonnalicious class. I own it.
The first four dance – Ricky, Melanie, Sasha and Miranda float about wearing ecru chiffon in an angsty number. I have massive arch envy. Cat says it’s a little piece of heaven. She says it twice.
Nigel says it’s thrilling.
By the way, although she wasn’t included at the beginning, Debbie “You’re Going to Pay IN SWEAT” Allen also randomly appears in the 20 knockdown.
It’s hip hopper time. Virgil has one of the best personalities this season but he’s not making it. Chris, Tad and Robby do. The guy who says “indubitably” and is one of the oldest contestants doesn’t make it. But Robert, the whoooooo!” guy slides in. They do a red-sneakered hip-hop number. Cat says there was some serious thrusting. Lil’ C says they served up some “hip-hop souffle.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment