Tiger-Like U.S. Open Seen From Rory McIlroy as Woods Sits Injured at Home


There’s a Tiger Woods-like performance being put on at the U.S. Open, while the game’s biggest draw hobbles at home on crutches.
Rory McIlroy’s record-setting play through two rounds at Congressional Country Club has drawn comparisons to Woods’s romp 11 years ago.
“It’s like Tiger at Pebble Beach when he pulled away,” Mike Davis, executive director of the U.S. Golf Association, told reporters inside the clubhouse of the course in Bethesda, Maryland. “I think it’s fantastic.”
In 2000, Woods won his first of three U.S. Open titles by a record 15 shots at California’s Pebble Beach Golf Links. His 12- under-par final score stands as the lowest winning total in 110 U.S. Opens.
McIlroy, at 11 under after 36 holes, has a chance to eclipse Woods’s mark this weekend.
“I’m feeling good, feeling very good,” McIlroy said in a news conference. “It’s funny to me, you know, it feels quite simple. I’m hitting fairways. I’m hitting greens. I’m holing my fair share of putts. That’s basically it.”
What has seemed simple to McIlroy has drawn high praise from others.
“You just can’t fathom it,” said Robert Garrigus, who played two groups in front of McIlroy today and sits at 2 under. “It’s crazy to see. I played well, but I can’t do anything about what he’s doing. I can’t go break his knee.”
Garrigus was among those now only left to wonder if McIlroy will be able to hold on for the victory. Unlike Woods during his prime, McIlroy has a history of surrendering leads in golf’s major tournaments. He blew a four-shot lead over the final round of the Masters Tournament in April with an 8-over-par 80 on the final 18 holes.

Gracious Loser

As devastating as that was for McIlroy, he congratulated winner Charl Schwartzel of South Africa, drawing support from golf fans and other players. While it might be nice to be well- liked, McIlroy said he’s ready for some of the praise to be heaped on him.
“I’d like to be happy for myself,” he said. “It would be nice to get a little piece of the action. These records, they’re nice, but they don’t really mean anything until the end of the tournament.”
McIlroy’s total of 131 eclipsed the 36-hole scoring mark of 132 set by Ricky Barnes two years ago at Bethpage State Park’s Black Course in New York.

0 comments:

Post a Comment