Readers react: Will “Da Real One” Bell remembered

The following is a collection of remembrances of the spoken word poet Will “Da Real One” Bell , who was shot to death early Sunday outside of his North Miami business, The Literary Cafe and Poetry Lounge. The remembrances were curated from Twitter, the Facebook fan page created after his death and emailed in directly from readers. If you have a story or remembrance that you’d like for us to include here, please send us an email.
--
Brigitte Turner, via email
I was a patron of The Literary Cafe and Poetry Lounge. When I met Will, he told me he had a Poetry spot that he'd like me to check out. This was back in 2008. When I did, I immediately fell in love with the energy he shared and the encouragement he gave me from day one. I write poetry and at the time that Will and I met, I was only writing when the mood hit me, and Will encouraged me to write more, and to dedicate more time and knowledge into my writing. I love him so much for his inspiration to not just me, but to so many that loved and respected him, and will continue to do so even in his passing.
Te-Erika Patterson, via email
I remember Will,was a spoken word artist and undercover comedian. You couldn't visit The Literary Cafe on Saturday night without laughing until you cry and wanting to linger on afterwards just to hear him joke around even more. He wasn't simply a PART of the poetry scene in South Florida, he BUILT it with his words. Every single artist on the scene has him to thank for inspiring them. He made me believe that something wonderful can happen from releasing the creative gifts within.
Lamar Jones, via email
Will was the first poet that I befriended when I found out about the poetry scene. He took me under his wing as he did so many up and coming artist. Will gave me advice that, till this day has a lot to do with my success in the entertainment industry.
Will taught me that having the limelight was not about the fame, but all about how many minds you could open and how many people you could inspire through your gift. He also showed me how important it was to be respected in this industry. Will opened my eyes to an underground poetry scene that I had no idea existed. After seeing Will perform that night in Davie, Fl at Kolonut Cafe. I came back every time the mic was open. I wanted to have that effect on people. I wanted to lift my people up. Will and Comedian "Razor" were the host of the spot at that time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment